Minutes: Chris Sorotiak moved to accept the minutes of the October meeting, Emily Hecht seconded and the minutes were approved.
Memorial Garden: The garden is already in place and there will be a bench donated that will be in place next fall. Jim McConnell did the A. There are some concerns for mowing. Thank you’s need to go out to Heartha, Jim McConnell and the landscapers.
Dave Sarra brought a proposal for Season of Remembrance, a musical group that does a performance that celebrates the seasons. There was discussion of whether it might be done at another venue like the Livery. The group has dates open in December and because of a special grant it would cost only $600. Concerns were expressed about whether this could actually be a money maker because of all the other activities during the Christmas season. Emily will check out the Livery and the Phoenix as possibilities. We will see if a Sunday afternoon date will work so that the whole family can attend. We will try for Sunday December 14 but we need to check the symphony calendar and other calendars. If we can’t get things worked out by the end of the month then we should not go forward.
Treasurer’s Report: Dick said he will be adding a balance sheet. There are some things he still needs to speak to Gretchen about. There are still some pledges that are not represented which he believes will bring things to a balance with the budget. Chris brought up the point that when people are making donations as a memorial for someone, that information is not getting back to the families. It was suggested that the treasurer issue a letter that states where the money came from in the person’s name the month after the event, and then perhaps at the end of the year.
Membership: In September we talked about revising the Westminster UU policy for BUUF. Janice is working on this. There is still interest in purchasing beans from Morning Glory market for our coffee. We will need to have it ground by them first. Lisa has not had a chance to talk yet with Renee K. about being liason to the pastor for members with illness or other needs. There is a letter ready to send out regarding membership for prospective members. It was suggested that we figure out the “cost” of being a member so members and prospective members would know this. It would be good to have this in the pledge letter. Dick said he will give Lisa a pledge letter. Anisah has volunteered to send out birthday cards. Dick asked if we need to update the birthday list. Janice said she was just following what was on the newsletter previously. She will get the list to Lisa that she has. The visitor log in the sanctuary was filled out by a visitor but it is missing. A copy should go to Gretchen, to membership, and the minister who is doing pastoral care (pastoral care for this year has never really been resolved). A movie projector proposal was made last meeting. There was to be further investigation. There was the question then of what we would do with the sound. Dick will research the rest of this and then will present this at the next board meeting. Lisa asked if we wanted to plan something social for November. Perhaps a movie night. We don’t have any speakers for this right now. Emily has a BOSE system that perhaps could be used. We need to get an events calendar blocked out. We need to know what all the school calendars are. We need to know the symphony calendar. We need to know the pulpit schedule. We need to gather everything on one calendar and figure out where new items can go. We will meet on Monday November 23 at 6 pm at Emily’s to do this. Seniors in the BUUF is meeting the third Wednesday of every month at BUUF at 11a-1p unless another location is specified. Janice stated that Mary Stover from the soup kitchen can do a presentation for them. Interview questions could maybe be answered via questionnaire by the Seniors in the BUUF group. Janice wonders if they might be interested in writing their memoirs. Chris suggested it might be great to have on oral or on video. Emily will give the questions to Chris to present to the group.
RE: Dave reports this is going really well and Dave is taking the Sundays on the 3rd and 5th Sundays and the three sets of volunteers are doing the other Sundays. Charles and Emily are willing to work with the older kids. Speaking of Faith will be replaced by Root Beer Summit on November 17 at Western at LMC from 6-8p. We have no more exterior keys available. Dave would like to go to Brown’s and get 10 more copies. People who are doing lots of work here must have keys. Dick moved and Lisa seconded that Dave be allowed to have Brown’s make 10 additional keys.
We don’t have a system for where we keep our contracts. We need a permanent location. This is another whole issue that would take major work to straighten out the records.
Windmill project: There may be ways to get grants for the Windmill. Dave will put a blurb in the newsletter and ask for volunteers to be on a Greening Committee. Interested people should contact Janice.
A potluck decluttering night needs to be considered.
Janice has some videos that came in the mail that will go into the office library. Dick moved to adjourn, Lisa seconded.
Next regular Board meeting will be December 13, at 8:30 am here at BUUF.
Last Updated (Monday, 01 August 2011 05:02)